For our project this week I chose to do a really fun science experiment using items I already had. My little man loves to get dirty and be hands on so creating a volcano and watching it erupt sounded perfect. I took ideas from books but altered it to be something a 3 year old can do. So put on those old clothes and grab some items from your kitchen and have a BLAST!
- Baking Soda (not powder)
- White Vinegar
- containers (we used disposable party cups)
- food color
Homemade Volcano How-to:
- Fill a cup about 1/4-1/3 full of white vinegar
- Allow your child to put food coloring drops in the cup
- Fill a spoon till heaping with baking soda
- Count to 3 and pour the soda in the cup
- Watch it erupt
You can do this with several cups at once or do one at a time. Allow your child to listen to the sounds of the reaction. He or she will be amazed with the chemical reaction and how the colorful foam covers the cup and the ground.