I have been asked by many people, “How do you start a blog?” I do not claim to be an expert. I most certainly do not know all that there is to know. I am still learning every day. I started as a hobby and to help others save money. I shared how I got started and why I got started a couple years ago on my journey to work from home. This blog has turned into so much more than I ever dreamed. I know make a salary and help support my family and still bring in income from this site! It is a dream! I want to share everything I know with you in case you are wondering how to REALLY get started. Want to know how to start a blog? Here are some simple steps to get started. Let’s start with the first three steps.
1. What do you want to write about?
Pick something you are passionate about! Are you a cook? Do you love trying new recipes? Do you love to craft? Are you a homeschool mom? Do you want to write inspirational stories? You may fall into many categories like me. I blog about food, crafts, being a mom, and life in general.
Here are some amazing blogs that I love that are sure to inspire you!
A Million Moments – Foodie, Crafts, Photography
The Country Chic Cottage – Crafts
A Day in Motherhood – Lifestyle, Being a mom
A Beautiful Mess– Craft, Lifestyle
Paleo – Foodie
Bubbly Nature Creations – Crafts, Parties
A Holy Experience – Christian, Encouragement
2. Create a Name and Grab your Domain
Come up with a name that you love, is creative, and something that reflects your image. It will be what people know you as. If you want to start for free, you can skip the domain and use the blogspot or WordPress.com links that they will assign you. If you would like something more customized, consider buying your domain. Check if the domain is avaliable. Next, register the domain name from a reliable doman registrar. Google domains can cost as low as $10 a year! That will insure that YOU own your own url. Here are some tools to help:
BlueHost (This is who I use!) Coupon code: Loveandcents
3. Choose a platform
Your 2 main options are blogger and wordpress. I have used both. I started on blogger and HIGHLY recommend that you do too. WordPress is awesome for SEO and other tools. But I am glad I started with a blogger blog.Here are some important things to research before you start.
- Google will walk you through how to start a blog on blogger.
- If you choose to start on a free blogger platform, you will have a limit to what you can do and limited space. (But again, to start with, it is good)
- You do not have all control when you use their system.
- It is easy to set up and create a personalize blog on blogger.
WordPress is what I use now. It is for more experienced or technically savvy bloggers. Do not let it intimidate you.
- Get started with WordPress. Choose between WordPress.com and WordPress.org.
- WordPress.org will require hosting. If you don’t need the flexibility of a full web host, you may consider getting a free blog on WordPress.com.
- You can create a cheap wordpress blog like I did.
I will be back with the next step next week. Please take some time to look through these and decide how you want to proceed. In no time at all we will have you up and running. Blogging and making money from you blog!