My husband was out of work for over 6 months this year. Talk about a struggle! It was hard to find the money to by groceries let alone worry about eating healthy. These are some of the tips I was given while we were on a very tight budget. I was told it is possible to keep eating heathy on a budget. If you have problems serving healthy foods because of the prices, you’ll find these tips to be just what you need to eat healthy on a budget.
1. Eliminate junk food. Doing your shopping on your own is the easiest way to shop, as children and sometimes spouses are usually the ones requesting junk food. Shopping alone will prevent this, and ensure that you only buy the foods you need.
2. Water or milk instead of soft drinks. You can still enjoy your favorite drinks at a sporting event or night out, although you should stick with the smallest size when shopping to save money and calories. Children and even adults need milk or milk products on a daily basis. Milk will also help you get strong and provides calcium for healthy bones and healthy teeth.
3. Buy fruits in quantity. When they are in season, buy fruits in quantity and freeze any extras. Did you know you can even freeze bananas. You can buy several pounds this way, and freeze extras to have them when the fruit goes out of season. Wash the fruit well, remove any spoiled pieces, dry thoroughly, then freeze in plastic zipper bags.
4. Meats and beans: Meats and beans are the best sources for protein. Lean meat is more expensive than meats with a lot of fat. Canned beans are a great deal as well, as they give you protein at a great price.
5. Beans as a substitute: You could use beans a substitute for meat on a frequent occasion. There are several varieties, so you can prepare them in a crock pot, so when you return home they are ready to consume.
6. If you live in a coastal area or an area where fish are around, make that an integral part of your diet. You can catch them from the lakes or rivers, saving money in the process.
7. Peanut butter is great for those on a budget as it’s popular with almost everyone. You can
use it for sandwiches instead of eating hot dogs. It does need to be refrigerated, although bigger jars can last you for weeks.
8. You should fill up with foods that have a high content of water. Watermelon, salads, and even sugar free gelatin are all great examples.
Eating healthy is always something you can’t go wrong with. You can eat healthy for just a few
bucks, which makes it perfect for those on a budget. Now, you don’t need a lot of money to have the lifestyle and health you’ve always wanted.
What are your tips for eating healthy on a budget?