Are you over the large cable bill? Keep reading to find out how to survive without cable and save money. This post contains affiliate links.
We are so over cable! The $300 + bill each month makes me sick. So this month I took a closer look at what we are watching and not watching. What was worth our money and what was a complete waste. We use Xfinity / Comcast for wifi and cable. Not only do we constantly have issues with the service but we are way overpaying. Here is a closer look at what we pay based on last month’s bill:
Monthly Package $196.44 Includes:
- Preferred XF Double Play: Includes Digital Preferred, TV Box, and Performance Pro Internet
- TV: HBO
- TV: Streampix
- TV: HD Technology Fee
- Internet: Speed Increase
- Service to Additional TV with TV Adapter
- AnyRoom DVR Service
- Internet Equipment Rental
- Broadcast TV Fee
- Regional Sports Fee
- State Cost Recovery Charge
- FCC Regulatory Fee
For a total of $296.84
This is crazy!
So I called and after much back and forth I was able to get an offer from Xfinity for $60 a month for high speed internet ONLY! DEAL! BYE BYE CABLE!
So how do you cut the cord with cable and save money?
I did some research and discovered some affordable solutions to learn how to survive without cable and save money while doing it. I am excited to share them with you so you can do the same!
An important first step is to secure your internet/ wifi. You will need it for any services that you choose. We had limited options but I went with the one that had the fastest speeds and could handle multiple devices.
Next find an online service for TV like Sling TV – the only live TV service that gives you the choice and control of a customized TV Experience. I did the 7 day free trial to see the quality of the shows, if the wifi could handle it, if the channels worked for us, etc. After 7 days we were sold!
The Cost: The best part is the cost of Sling TV. There are 3 options. Orange, Blue, and Orange and Blue. Prices start at $25. The packages really depend on what stations you want. I went with BLUE for $25.
SAVE: Use this code to get $5 off your first 3 months of Sling TV
Customize: Then you can go in and add all a carte options like Kids shows, Dove Channel, Lifestyle Channels, Sports Channels. It is all up to you and how much you want to watch. Most are $5 or $10!!! That is a steal! I choose The Lifestyle package because I love Lifetime, DIY, and Hallmark. I can get all those and more for only $5!!! I also got the DOVE Channel because it offers quality, family friendly shows that my kids can enjoy.
Other things we are using:
Amazon Prime Movies : $12.99 a month
My picks: BLUE package for $25 + $5 DOVE + $5 Lifestyle Package = $35 a month!!
+ Netflix $10.99
+ Amazon $12.99
= $58.98 total on TV service.
To be fair the $300 a month included internet so just for fun I want to add TV and Internet.
$58.98 TV + $60 Internet = $118.98 TOTAL per month!
A savings of $181+
You guys that is so worth it! WOW! I can get my nails and toes done and even get a massage with that money! LOL
So Many Options!
Here are some other ideas you may like to check out to cut the cord with cable and save money!
- Hulu premium Live TV streaming service includes more than 50 live TV channels. For $7.99 you can watch full seasons of exclusive series, current episodes, classic favorites, Hulu Originals, hit movies, kids shows, and tons more with minimal commercial interruptions. For $39.99 you can check out the new BETA Hulu with LIVE TV. Watch Live and On Demand TV from 50+ top channels including sports, news, entertainment, and more. Plus, enjoy unlimited access to the Hulu Limited Commercials plan. We do still have a trial of HULU and am leaning towards keeping it because of the live tv feature!!! Check out Hulu for 2 weeks free, on me! CLICK HERE for this promo deal.
- Consider an HD antenna. For most people, a good HD antenna offers four major networks (FOX, ABC, NBC, and CBS), along with as many as 10-15 other selections (PBS, CW, etc.) in HD resolution, for free.
- Consider a Blu-ray player, PlayStation, or smart TV with streaming apps.
- Sony’s Playstation Vue service is available on Playstation 3 and PS4, Chromecast, Roku, Apple TV, and Amazon Fire TV. Its base packages are a bigger investment than Sling TV, starting at $40 per month.
- Consider a web streaming device. We bought an Amazon Fire Stick and I use an ChromeCast in my room. All you need is wifi and a subscription to something like Sling or Netflix. My husband has a PlayStation that streams as well.
- YouTube TV offers single channel packages with 40-plus channels with a $35 monthly subscription.You’ll also get access to all of YouTube Red’s premium content.
- Sports fans have options too! Baseball fans can get MLB.TV, basketball can get N.B.A. League Pass and N.F.L. fans can check out the add ons in the Sling TV account.
- We love our Amazon Prime Video service! So many options! It’s $12.99 a month.