An honest review of the St Anthony Hotel in San Antonio.
The end of the year is filled with special moments for me! Christmas and my birthday! So we always try to get away and find a fun way to celebrate. This year we decided to celebrate special moments at the St Anthony Hotel in San Antonio. It was amazing and I wanted to share the experience with you.
The St Anthony Hotel History
First let me tell you about the The St Anthony Hotel History! The St. Anthony Hotel is a historic hotel in downtown San Antonio. The St. Anthony Hotel was constructed by cattlemen B. L. Naylor, F. M. Swearingen, and A. H. Jones in 1909. The men believed that San Antonio was destined to become an important tourist destination and that a luxury hotel would bring an influx of wealthy people coming to the city. The St. Anthony was the first luxury hotel in the city. It was so technologically advanced that it was considered among the world’s most modern hotels. Fast forward to 1982 when the hotel was bought by Inter-Continental Hotels. It was renovated and reopened in 1983 as the St. Anthony Inter-Continental San Antonio. It completed renovations and joined The Luxury Collection in 2015. (Facts per Wikipedia)
The St Anthony Hotel Location
The St. Anthony Hotel is in a perfect location! It is sitting right in the heart of downtown, across the street from Travis Park. You are within walking distance to restaurants, the riverwalk, and historic landmarks of San Antonio, Texas. We are not crazy about long walks, etc. But to my awesome surprise The St Anthony Hotel was so close to the riverwalk we were able to walk. It was about 2 blocks and then you are there!
One evening I walked across the street to the Travis Park where it was all decked out for Christmas with a lighted tree, food trucks, music, and ice skating rink.
Where to eat when staying at The St Anthony Hotel
The hotel has five upscale restaurants. They also offer room service. We chose to eat at the Riverwalk which is just within walking distance. There are also lots of nice options within walking distance. You have tons of options including Subway, Pizza, Steaks, and more!
The Rooms at The St Anthony Hotel
The rooms are vintage-inspired rooms for modern features like pillowtop beds and free Wi-Fi, existing alongside black marble tubs and green velvet seating. We stayed in a 2 queen bed room.
It comes with robes and slippers which I loved! It is full of fun modern features like turning on and off the lights with the touch of a button!
I loved the bathroom! Look at the bathtub/ shower!
If you plan to visit, the holidays are a wonderful time because of the beautiful holiday decorations! The trees, lights, garland, etc. are so festive!
Other things you need to know when visiting The St Anthony Hotel
- Valet or self parking is $42 per night. Or you can self park somewhere nearby but you have to pay when you go in or out. So that gets pricey too. We went with valet.
- They will run your card for $100 when you arrive for incidentals. I think this is because most people order room service, use the in room bar, or charge meals to the room. We did not but still needed that hold which we did not expect.
- If you need a refrigerator let them know in advance so they can put one in your room. The rooms do not come with a fridge.
- We did not see any vending machines BUT found a small connivence store next door where you can grab snacks and soda if you want for the night.
- There is a Walgreens within walking distance for any last minute things you may have forgotten.
- Before you head to Walgreens ask! They have many of the things you may have forgotten at home ready for you at the hotel. This includes razors, q tips, nail files, mouth wash, toothbrush, and more!
- There is an in room bar but you need to ask for a key to get into it. I didn’t get a key so no pics of that but the list had lots of options.
- There is also a variety of snacks for a fee in your room.
The St Anthony Hotel in San Antonio is a luxury hotel! If you are looking to celebrate a very special moment this is the place for you. Be sure you are prepared for the extra costs mentioned above. After Christmas most of us are a little tight on cash so plan ahead. It is worth the money to live in luxury for a few days! You deserve it! And the fact that it is so close to all the awesome attractions and things to do, makes it perfect! We loved our getaway and I loved a few days to just relax and enjoy life in luxury!
For more details visit Marriott for rates and to reserve a room.