While visiting Florida we went off the beaten path to try some new things like the Airboat Ride. Another really fun thing we did was visit De Leon Springs State Park for pancakes and a cold swim! I had to share this with you!
A little history:
Once called Acuera, or “Healing Waters,” by Timucuan Indians who inhabited the area, De Leon Springs State Park is a place to cool off in clear waters, roam trails through a lush subtropical forest that features a massive old-growth bald cypress tree, and immerse oneself in a rich history. The spring run was once used to turn a sugar cane mill followed by a grist mill to turn corn into flour during the Civil War.
The waters are cold!
The swimming area is a constant 72 degrees and depths range from 18 inches to 30 feet at the spring boil. When days are 100+ that is COLD! But I LOVED it! My son and I swam for hours.
Inside DeLeon Springs State Park, the popular Old Spanish Sugar Mill & Griddle House Restaurant is located in a 100 year-old replica of the original 1830s sugar mill. Features cook-your-own pancakes at the table! This was so much fun!
First, you order which kind you want. They had offerings like gluten free, multi grain, and regular. We went with regular. Then you pick your toppings. I wanted them all, but we stuck with a family favorite of blueberries. They start up your grill. Then bring out your batter and toppings. Then it is all you! We all made our pancakes right there on our table! It was so fun!
You can also order eggs, bacon, ham, etc.
Also Emma and Joel went on a board ride to find out more about the history. They really enjoyed learning more about the fountain of youth.
TIPS for visiting:
- Open 8 a.m. until sunset, 365 days a year.
- The Sugar Mill Restaurant is open every day except Thanksgiving and Christmas, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on weekdays and 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. on weekends and holidays, serving until 4 p.m.
- Fees $6 per vehicle: 2-8 people
- See the other activities here.
- A wait at the restaurant is expected. Try calling to make reservations.
- There is a nice bathroom there for changing into a swim suit or to dry off
- Plenty of room to lay out and read a book or eat a picnic
- At the restaurant, an 18% gratuity is added to all checks, regardless of the party’s size.
- There is a small store there with fun gifts
- You can rent tubes for the water
Find out more about DeLeon Springs and add this to your list when you visit Florida!